Oudtshoorn - main activities in one day
With over 330 sunshine days a year, Oudtshoorn is a great place for Outdoor activities. Surrounded by mountain ranges and blessed with a rich variety of bird and plant life the Klein Karoo reveals it's beauty to those who get out and make the effort to explore..
- Start at the Cango Caves at 09:00 (for the standard tour) or 09:30 (for the adventure tour)
- It takes about 30 minutes to drive to the Cango Caves, so you should try to depart from Oudtshoorn about 08:15. It is a scenic tar road through the foothills of the Swartberg Mountains with a lot of curves and bends.
- You can give yourself about 90 minutes duration for the adventure tour and 60 minutes for the standard tour. (Keep in mind that they have a curio shop and restaurant as well - so you can give yourself about an hour for sight-seeing at the Cango Caves).
- Health Problems
Adventure tour - not suitable for people with claustrophobia or those who suffer from back ailments, high blood pressure or pregnant women.
- Wheelchair Friendly Areas
Only in Cango Caves Building
Tours not wheelchair friendly
We advise you to wear comfortable clothes and shoes for the tour.
OSTRICH SHOW FARMS:
CANGO OSTRICH SHOW FARM:
12km from Wilgewandel ( en-route to the Cango Caves)
HIGHGATE OSTRICH SHOW FARM:
10km from Oudtshoorn - on the Volmoed road towards Mossel Bay.
SAFARI OSTRICH SHOW FARM:
7km from Oudtshoorn - on the road to Mossel Bay.
What you will experience:
- the eggs, incubators and chicks (in season)
- to hug and kiss our super friendly female - Betsie
- to feed the ostriches by hand
- to sit on the ostriches
- and for the daring type, to ... Ride the ostriches (weight limit 75kg) and to stand on the eggs (the ultimate weight test).
CANGO WILDLIFE RANCH:
Depending on the time of your visit, you will need to dress accordingly.
We recommend the following attire:
- Comfortable walking shoes
- Light clothing and a hat (especially during summer)
- Umbrella (winter months)
- and never forget your sunscreen!!
What to expect when you arrive at the ranch?
Upon arrival you will be greeted by your guide who will inform you of when your tour will start. During your wait (which will not be more than half an hour ) you can view our snake park, lorikeet aviary, wallaby walkabout, kids zone, visit any one of our curio shops or have a bit to eat at one of our restaurants.
Your guided tour will take you through the Valley of Ancients with its variety of animals and reptiles then off to Cheetah land where you will meet our big cats. A tour will last anything from 45 - 60 minutes. We recommend visitors set aside at least 2 hours to experience everything we have to offer.
After your tour you are welcome to walk around and perhaps re-visit some of the enclosures for extra pictures.
Buffelsdrift Game Lodge
Just off the famous Route 62, part of the South African Garden Route & Klein Karoo, Buffelsdrift Game Lodge offers you an escape to something spectacular. Experience an array of wildlife including Elephants, Rhino, Cape Buffalo, Giraffe, Hippo and over 200 bird species. We also offer African Bush Safaris, Meerkat Safaris, Elephant Feeding, Walking & Brushing Experiences.
Our A la Carte Restaurant offers some of the best local cuisine in the area. It is open to the public for breakfast, lunch and dinner as well as drinks &
sundowners on our surrounding deck overlooking the magnificent waterhole from where you might see some game species.
WILGEWANDEL HOLIDAY FARM:
- Camel rides: We have seven very friendly and well-trained dromedary camels that can't wait to offer you a ride. Their names are: Joshua, Moses, Vossie, Abraham, Nelson, Thabo and Josef.
- 18 hole Ghwarra-Ghwarra Golf:
Fun and entertaining putt-putt for young and old alike.
- Donkey cart rides:
This traditional way of transportation is a lot of fun.
- Foefie slide:
100 metres long and 6 metres high across our farm dam (zip line).
- Farm atmosphere:
We pride ourselves on creating a healthy farm atmosphere where you can relax and enjoy the fresh air.
- Animals to feed:
In true farm style we have a variety of farm animals to feed. These include rabbits, a pig, billy goats, donkey, ostriches and sheep. (Touch farm).
- Bumper boats:
This is a very nice and safe activity to do with your kids. Or have a drink on the veranda while you watch them have a go at each other.
- Curios and gifts to buy:
Our curio shop has a large variety of local wines, homemade goodies, gifts and curios. Cold drinks, ice-cream, sweets, biltong, and lots of special gifts are available.
- Hiking trails:
For the more energetic we've got a 30-60 minute hiking trail.
- Mountain bike trails:
About 5 km long; bring your own bike.
- Quad Buggies
- Fun obstacle / teambuilding course
- Plenty of GREAT photo opportunities
We have a well appointed, fully licensed family restaurant where you can enjoy home cooked meals at affordable prices.